Every week on Thursday during the sunny side of Daylight Savings Time, FM:Race meets up in Atlanta for a social hilly road training ride, leaving Atlanta Beltline Bicycle on Sampson Street at 6:45pm.
Use #fmrideATL on twitter for trash talking and what not.
Some things to know:
- Ride occurs on the summer side of Daylight Savings time
- Route: ~39 miles, 3600+ft of climbing including a few especially terrible climbs: #fmrideATL 2018 route and cue-sheet on Strava #fmrideATL 2018 on ridewithgps
- About 2 hours start to finish, including regrouping once towards the middle.
- Average pace is 14-17mph, which hurts more than you think given the hills.
- Loop is ridden clockwise
- Helmets and front and rear lights are required. It gets dark by the end!
- There is only one place where we'll stop for you to eat or use the bathroom. The Exxon on Paces Ferry at i-75 which is a little over half-way in. Theres a spigot for filling up water bottles there, and bathrooms.
- We will not ride if: it is raining at 6:30pm, there is a 100% chance we'll get rained on, there is a severe thunderstorm warning for any part of the route, it is forecast to be below 32F by the end of the ride, or above 100F at 6:30pm
This is not a 'no drop' ride, but it's pretty darn close. There will not be dillydallying at the tops of hills, but in general, we will wait for you unless
- We specifically tell you that you're being dropped.
- You let us know (so if you are shortcutting or peeling off, please let us know!)
- The pterodactyl on Beechwood eats you.
- You take off the front and miss a turn.
Remember, the emphasis is on the terribleness of the climbs, and being chatty inbetween.
The people that fly off the front? They don't know the route and you shouldn't follow them. Want to show how cool you are? Win every KOM sprint, don't disappear off the front. If you're 'gapping the field', you're doing this ride wrong. Please don't show up.