Tour De Charlotte
A road and trail stage race around Charlotte, NC
Join us March 22nd for a day on the bike you will never forget. We will ride as a group on a 30-ish-mile "Party Pace" route around Charlotte. The route will feature urban paths, dirt roads, and even single-track trail. We'll stop along the way at 4 locations, called "Stages" where we will have a mini race. Some races will be Cyclocross style, some Cross-Country MTB, and one Fat-Tire Road Criterium. The Tour de Charlotte will be a showcase of in-town Charlotte trails, paths, and commuter routes.
About This Year's Event
Tour de Charlotte 2014 is shaping up to be an exciting event. The route is a bit shorter than 2013 at about 25 miles, but much more challenging. All participants will ride trail, gravel, and dirt roads in addition to paved city streets and paths. So we highly recommend an off-road bike this year.
We will have four stages. Here are some hints, in no particular order:
1. XC Short-track (fast)
2. XC Short-track (technical)
3. Cyclocross (extra climby)
4. Paved Criterium (super twisty)
What if I Can't Keep Up?
We want to make Tour de Charlotte accessible to everyone, but we also want to finish with the group intact before sundown. If and when riders in the group fall behind the 'Sweeper' (an event official that keeps pace at the back of the group), they will be on their own. They can shortcut the event to a later stage, head over to the after-party a little early, or head home. For this reason we must insist that all participants follow these rules:
ALL RIDERS MUST:
1. Be self-sufficient (food, water, tools, cell-phone, navigation, packable rain jacket)
2. Ride with an "Accountabilibro" (a partner who will stay with you if you get "swept")
3. Be relatively fit and capable of riding all day long
4. Ride a bike suitable for trail riding
5. Wear a helmet
6. Bring a front and rear light for your bicycle (just in case)
Event Location and Parking
1. Park here:
Shamrock Gardens Elementary School
3301 Country Club Drive, Charlotte, NC 28205
2. Ride your bike here (event check-in):
1901 Bentley Pl. Charlotte, NC 28205
3. Check in opens at 8:00am. Check-in closes at 9:30am. Mandatory rider's meeting at 9:30am. Depart at 10am
Participants can race as many stages as they want, or they can just ride along and spectate (Party Pace). Awards will be given to the top finishers for each stage, as well as the top finishers overall. We'll even have prizes for the Party Pace Pounders.
Register HERE (opens Feb 16th at noon)
$25 - Racers ($30 on March 22)
$15 - Party Pacers ($20 on March 22)
Thanks to the awesome local sponsors that are making this happen:
Check out the rad TDCLT 2013 video put together by Pilot Collective Media: